Monday 17 February 2014

Red brightens up the day!!!!

Hiya!!!! Happy Monday! I hope you've all had a great weekend and ready for the week ahead! Alaia is on holiday this week, but she's got the sniffles again! great, not!!! she will hopefully get better soon and enjoy her week off!

I've been really busy with my cards for the last week... making lots of cards for the next few weeks (secret, I can't show you yet ...)... last night I went to bed at 4am, but hey ho! sometimes we have to suffer for our art!!! lol. Luckily, as Alaia is off from school, I didn't need to get up really early!

I'm also trying to improve my colouring... I haven't been very happy with it lately... the colours don't seem to blend right, not sure if I haven't got the right shades of Promarkers or the paper is not right (yeah, I've realised there are some papers that blend a lot better than others!), or it's just me!!! I would love to go to some sort of class to learn how to colour properly, but nothing near where I live... Thankfully, this amazing thing called You Tube is always there to give me some tips!

In today's card I really tried with my colouring, hopefully it shows! I only have one shade of red (Poppy) so I used some cool greys for shadowing!
Here is today's card....




after yesterday's boys cards, I had a girly card withdrawal!!!

I used a Saturated Canary digital stamp I've had for a while but I'd never used... 
It's called "Sweet Oklahoma". I love all the details, her hair blowing, the awkward pose... 

The papers I've used are from: Crate Paper DIY shop (the flowery one) and a freebie from a card making magazine last year (musical notes).

I hand-stitched around all the layers of paper with white thread.

all the borders have been distressed with the Tim Holtz distresser and inked with Tim Holtz distress ink pad in Tea Dye.

I also used as a layer a piece of corrugated paper I made myself with my crimper (another of my not-so-used tools,  from Woodware Craft).



As always, I used my Promarkers to colour the image.

For the  hair I used: Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Cocoa, Sandstone, Buttercup and Satin.

For all the red areas: Poppy and Cool Grey 1 to 4.

For the grey areas: Cool grey 1 to 4.

For the skin: vanilla, almond and blossom.


I framed the image in a rectangle, leaving some parts of the image outside the frame. 










The embellishments and bits and bobs I used are:

Heart die cut (Sizzix Bigz die), that I covered firstly in glitter, and then in enamel embossing powder in white foam from Papermania (heated with the heating tool).

I also used this embossing powder around the image, especially all the edges and corners; and the sentiment (from a stamp set from Kanvan) that I stamped with Versamark embossing ink and embossed with the same embossing powder.... I also sprinkled the embossing powder around the sentiment. I really like this "messy" effect!!!

The pin holding the sentiment is from Tim Holtz.

The Flowers,pearls and pearl brad are from Wild Orchid Crafts.

The leaves are die cuts from Marianne Creatables.

The button, ribbon, lace and charm are from local shops.



I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

All sorts challenge #246 - Use brads (pearl brad at bottom corner)
Aud Sentiments #100 - Bingo (my line is: Two word sentiment, 3D item (flowers, button, brad) and use something shiny (charm) 2nd entry
Digi Designs - Tic Tac Toe (my line is: digi, die cut and flowers)
Hanna and Friends #190 - Bingo (my line is: stitching, ribbon and flowers)
Inkspirational challenge #50 - Tic Tac Toe (my line is: distressing, ribbon or lace, buttons or brads)
Whoopsi Daisy - Use two or more die cuts (Sizzix bigz heart die cut and Marianne Creatables leaves die cut)



I hope you like my card!!!! Please leave me some love in the comments if you do... and don't forget to follow if you are not already... Thanks! 

Until next time!!!!





52 comments:

  1. This Its Stunning So Glad You Joined Us And Good Luck With The Gdt At Crafty Catz. Hope You Are Staying Safe In Such Bad Weather We Are Having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wo gorgeous card an great colouring, love the embossing looks fab, thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week, Jac x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Mirella! Love all the pretty layers and details!
    Thanks for joining in with our 'Have a Heart' Challenge at Passion for Promarkers this week! Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya hon, I think you're colouring is great, don't be so hard on yourself! The paper definitely makes a huge difference. I think it's one of those things that takes practice and that what you do, but you are definitely achieving a great result, especially if you are managing with one colour. I find I get the best looking results when I can use 3-5 shades of the same colour. I also didn't like using the blender at first but I'm starting to use it a little more now and it really does help get rid of lines between shades. Have you had a look at the Promarkers tutorials too? http://www.letraset.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Tutorials
    Your cards are beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I'll take a look at those Promarker tutorials! I use the blender, not as often as I should though!
      Mirella DK xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful colouring, don't be hard on yourself. Gorgeous details and design.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous image and fantastic colouring I thought you had paper pieced image till i read your post-beautiful papers and embellishments-love the embossing
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hand-sewn?? Wow Mirella! You put a lot of work into this one! And your shading on the red using the grey is spot on - nothing wrong with your coloring toots! I love the layers and especially the lace with this image. Minor detail Mirella - "Happy Birthday to You" is a 4 word sentiment.sweety! Thanks for sharing your beautiful project & creativity with us!
    ~ginny, DT for Aud Sentiments: #100 "Bingo"
    RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops!!!! can't believe I made that mistake!!!! lol. sorry.... I can't count any more...I just concentrated on the "Happy birthday" and forgot about the "to you"!!! thank you for the lovely comment Ginny...

      Delete
  8. Your colouring is great! I like the way you closed ribbon to your card with a charm. Good kuck to Crafty Ribbons Challenge from DT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red is an amazing colour, your card is a beauty. Wonderful embellishments and a super coloured image. thanks for sharing with us at Sparkles Monthly. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully created card with lovely use of red! And works nicely with our girly challenge this week :)
    Thank you for joining us at Milk N Coffee and I hope to see you again, hugs, Rita DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your Bits and Bobs! So many wonderful elements to this creation! Thanks for joining The Corrosive Challenge this fortnight, and good luck!
    DebbieM - TCC DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card, thanks for joining us at Whoopsi Daisy.
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you have colored beautifully, I see the shading and it looks very natural! What a beautiful card with all the embellishments! Thank you so much for linking this up to Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eine wirklich sehr schöne Karte. Gefällt mir gut. Danke für Deine Teilnahme bei Hanna and Friends. LG Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just checking out the talent from Make it Monday! Wow! Beautiful! I love the white on the heart and around the Happy Birthday! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous girly card Mirella, I love all the layers. Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts this week for our Use Brads challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just beautiful Mirella and the red certainly does brighten the day, thanks so much for joining in at Allsorts this week.

    I would love it if you joined in my Spellbinder blog celebration here

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is gorgeous Mirella..love the papers, layers and details..gorgeous card.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Make it Monday..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card I saw it at MIM and it caught my eye, beautiful image and coloue combo.

    Hugs Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply stunning! I love your coloring, the sparkle the pearls, your layout....a master piece. Thank you for joining us at CardsGaloreEncore Add gem, glitter, or Candi Challenge #2

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely card and colours! As Ginny said it's a shame it's a 4 word sentiment, but a beautiful card nonetheless! Thanks for playing at Aud Sentiments! Love Marie-Clare from cardsbymc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card! Love your coloring, your image and the embellishements. Thank you for playing with Aud Sentiments this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love SC images! Beautiful card and fab colouring, spotted it on MIM XX

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally gorgeous, Mirella, I love the image and your colouring is amazing as always, thank you for sharing with us at Delicious Doodles, this week, best of luck xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Popping over from MIM blog to see your beautiful project. Love everything about your card from the stitching to the frosted glittering.

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute card! Thanks for joining Milk Coffee Stamps challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It really does! :) Lovely card, great coloring and perfect details on this one - great job!
    Have an amazing day...

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is stunning! I love everything about it and all the attention to detail you put into your design! Thanks for playing along with us for our "Girly" challenge at Craft Your Passion!

    Hugs, Adina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely GORGEOUS! Love the colors and all of your pretty details!

    Big Hugs,
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is gorgeous! Love the shabby chick theme and the image is so cute...

    Thank you for entering our GDT call - Good luck!
    Thank you for playing along with our Lady in Red - Challenge at Crafty Catz.
    Good luck!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pretty and girly card, fabulous colouring.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts Challenge, good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely card. Thanks for playing with us at Izazovi i sladkiši.

    Keti (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely card. Thanks for playing with us at Izazovi i sladkiši.

    Keti (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a gorgeous card. Thank you for joining our Challenge at Crafts Galore Encore this month.

    Hugs Erin DT x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous card, Mirella! I think your colouring looks fabulous! Love everything about this one! Thanks so much for joining us at Lia Stampz! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just love this card Mirella! I thought you’d like to know your project has been chosen to be showcased as my weekly fav on my Feature Friday post today! Thank you for being a follower of all things beautiful. Take care and enjoy your weekend. Amy A.
    http://alllthingsbeautiful.blogspot.com/2014/02/feature-friday-22114.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a gorgeously sumptuous card! Love it! Why dont you enter it into the Crafting Cafe challenge which this month is embossing? Denise (DT member for Crafting Cafe)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a fab card. great image, and I love all the sparkly touches! Thank you for playing along at Milk Coffee this challenge. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stunning card! Loving the Bling! Thank's for sharing at Love to Create this week! Mo dt x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous card! Red is hard to work with regardless of the ink you are using, and I think you did a beautiful job! Thank you for joining our Make it Sparkle with Bling Challenge over at Love to Create this week.
    Ruza, LTC Admin/Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous card and I love those big flowers! Thanks for joining our Girly Girl challenge at Craft Your Passion! HUgsxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! Fabulous creation, thank you for joining in our Let's get sentimental Challenge at A Creative Romance.
    Hugs Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is lovely - so many fab layers and embellishments!

    Thanks for joining us at Stampin' For the Weekend for our Flower Power challenge!

    Hugs

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your card is stunning Mirella, all the details are beautiful and the red really makes it stand out. Colouring well is a long journey! I use Prisma pencils and it's taken a while to find the right paper and to get comfortable with them. YouTube has been invaluable too! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful card with us at Sparkles this month, hope to see you again.

    Hugs
    Brenda
    Sparkles DT

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you so much for joining my Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge for February with another gorgeous card - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your colouring is fantastic on this fun card! Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this image, heart and sentiment. Thank you for joining our Anything goes Challenge at The Paper Nest Dolls.
    Jasmina DT PND

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at the Fairy's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow great image and wonderful colouring. Love your card. Thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational. All the best Meighan DT

    ReplyDelete
  50. I think your card turned out great. I love your colouring, the hair looks great and good idea about using the grey with the red. I think it worked out really well. TFS with us at Lia Stampz!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...